Friday, March 12, 2010

The Greatest SOS Publicity Shot Ever


I think this is the best publicity photo we ever produced in Sing-Out South.

This particular picture appeared on the front page of a community paper in Hendersonville, THE STAR NEWS (I think), in the fall of 1967 before a show we did at a local school. I have some follow-up photos from the newspaper's coverage I will share in the future.

I wish I had the original of this blended photograph. I know the photo of the cast was taken during one of our premiere shows at Hillsboro High School March 25-26, 1966. Who took the shot? Most likkely either Gil Fuqua or a BANNER photographer, although I don't know for sure. I suspect it was Gil took it.

Who blended the cast photo with a star burst of the Declaration of Independence is also unknown to me, but I think the shot captures the youthful enthusiam and patriotism that was Sing-Out South. From the choreography the cast members are doing, it appears we are performing "WE VOLUNTEER", one of several "signature songs" we were lucky enough to have in our show over the years.

More on that in a later post.

If you have any information about the photo (especially if you have an original copy), please leave the information in the comments section below or e-mail me (pat.nolan@dvl.com).

In closing, I'd like to thank Bob and Harriet Hall (Pudge) Cates. In the midst of preparing to move to Costa Rica soon, they gave me a box full of Sing-Out/UWP memorabilia. While I have been away and unable to explore everything in detail, there already appear to be several treasures in the box that I will be sharing here on the blog in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment