Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sing-Out South Goes Bozo


In the fall of 1966, Sing-Out South taped a series of brief performances at the Murfreesboro Road studios of then WSIX-TV, Channel 8 (now WKRN-TV, Channel 2, but still broadcasting out of the same facility).

The taped songs (UP WITH PEOPLE, WHICH WAY, AMERICA?, FREEDOM ISN'T FREE, VOLUNTEERS OF TENNESSEE, WE VOLUNTEER were probably among the titles we performed) were broken up into short segements and included daily over the next several weeks on the station's BOZO morning children's program.

I don't think that was exactly our target audience, but maybe their big brothers and sisters or their parents were watching too.

The photo above (click to enlarge)shows Bozo on set with the SOS cast and then cast director Ted Overman. While I have grown very accustomed to it over the years, this was the first time I had ever performed in a TV studio. And while we had some of "cast moms and dads" acting as our studio audience to clap and applaud at the end of the songs, it felt a little strange basically performing in such an environment.

If you enlarge the photo you can recognize quite a few people from the cast including Jill Walters, Jerry Baker, Patsy Hankins (Kemper), Beverly Barry, Lee Lee Luken (Dorough) Mary Beth Hofstetter (Adgent), Jackie Dodson, Debbie Jones (Bauder), Dennis Cohen, Bob Sharp, Margaret Stokes, Mary Jane Varley and Gail Goodman along with the late Mike Padgett on the drums, Larry Reid on guitar (with Kenny Keaton also on guitar hidden next to him) and there's also myself and Dave Cannon.

I know there are others in the photo I don't recognize or remember, so please leave your thoughts and memories below, especially if you recognize someone (including yourself).

The reason we did the BOZO appearances on WSIX-TV (and several other TV specials on that station that we will talk about in some later posts) is because of the man at the far left of this photo, Bill Jones, who worked at Channel 8.

Mr. Jones and his family played a major supportive role in Sing-Out South and Up With People. All three of the daughters, Pam Jones (Hazelwood), Candy Jones (Wirt) and Debbie Jones (Bauder) were members of SOS, while Pam and Candy also traveled extensively with the UWP national casts. Jeff, the youngest, was too young to be in Sing-Out but he was frequently at rehersals as was Mrs. Jones.

On the left, Pam (in the yellow) and Candy (in the red) perform with the national cast of Up With People.

5 comments:

  1. Pat Nolan! Can't believe you even have that photo to post! Where did you get it? I'm loving reading your memories. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pam!

    Well, actually you gave me that photo. Remember? It was part of a large e-mail attachment of photos you sent me before our 40th SOS Reunion back in March, 2006.

    There are also more family photos, including ones from the UWP Christmas Conference in Santa Fe back in December, 1966. There are some great shots and I was hoping to use them around the holidays.

    I think all the pictures you sent me are great. I hope you don't mind me using them.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Cannon sent me an e-mail with his memories about our Bozo appearance:

    "If you remember on the Bozo Show I was not in the brown blazer (part of the SOS uniform for the guys). I didn't know the steps that well and several folks didn't want me to perform. The fact that there were not many guys in the cast at that time won out and there I was at Bozo.

    My blazer was on order."

    Thanks, Dave

    Great memories!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Pat! I forgot how beautiful my sisters were! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting the blog and leaving your kind comments.

    And whether you are Candy or Pam or Debbie (Jones), I certainly agree that all of you were (and still are) beautiful sisters!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete